At ConnCAT, our focus is on the whole person. Our model delivers technical skill-building on par with national certification programs while providing adult learners coaching in career development, academic excellence and self-accountability; qualities that will help them thrive in their careers. Alongside classroom instruction, our adult learners complete a formal externship, which gives them an opportunity to practice their new skills in a real work environment.
ConnCAT’s current offerings, Medical Billing and Coding and Phlebotomy, are based on careful market research and directly address skilled talent shortages in the New Haven community. Through this market-driven approach to job training, ConnCAT seeks to:
1. Provide meaningful, life-changing experiences for adult learners, and
2. Create an effective job pipeline and make a significant impact on the employment landscape in New Haven
Thanks to the generosity of our funding partners, all programs at ConnCAT are offered at no cost to our participants. The success of our program lies in the personal commitment of every adult learner to make a positive change in their lives. All interested applicants must complete ConnCAT’s multi-step registration process:
- Submission of required documents
- Completion of a background check
- Key Train Assessment
- Participation in an interview
All courses require a full-time commitment: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
By investing in themselves at ConnCAT, adult learners are:
- Trained for a rewarding profession and eligible for national certifications
- Exposed to employment at a top-notch medical institution in New Haven and surrounding areas. (Read more about our community collaborators).
- Guided carefully on the next steps of their career. (Learn about our unique Career Pathways program).
We invite you to explore our current program offerings:
- MEDICAL CODING PROGRAM: Medical coders play a key translation role in the medical industry, converting descriptions of diagnoses and procedures into standard codes that are used by insurance agencies, the government, and healthcare companies. Medical coding skills are in high-demand in a variety of settings including: inpatient and outpatient hospital departments, health insurance companies, physician offices and billing services. Starting salary for medical coders range from $22,000 to $35,000/year, based on experience and certifications.
- PHLEBOTOMY PROGRAM: Phlebotomists collect blood samples used for medical testing or transfusions. Phlebotomists play a vital role in the medical sector, helping to reduce the workload of doctors and nurses by focusing on blood collection. Studies in phlebotomy also provide students with a foundation for more advanced fields, including work as medical lab technicians. Starting salary for phlebotomists range from $24,500 to $30,000/year, based on experience and certifications.