ConnCAT provides interactive educational programs tailored to the developmental needs and interests of middle school students. We use a unique combination of head and heart to help our students locate purpose in their lives and succeed in the classroom and beyond. Participants of our program:
- Enroll in a popular creative arts elective
- Participate in collaborative arts sessions with students across different artistic media
- Receive tutoring on homework assignments and school projects
ConnCAT currently offers the following creative arts electives:
- Photoshop: Students learn the basics of Adobe Photoshop while developing both collaborative and independent projects. The culminating exercise is a showcase of artwork responding to a particular theme that is displayed in ConnCAT’s student gallery.
- Digital Media and Design: At ConnCAT, it is essential for our students to understand that their artistic endeavors can have monetary value. Students adapt marketable skills through special projects such as music videos, commercials, and T-shirt designs.
- Film: Students are exposed to the process of creating a film and seeing their collaborative ideas on screen. Aside from acquiring technical skills such as operating professional cameras, lighting, and sound equipment, they also learn the basics of acting, speech delivery and script writing.
- Multimedia Arts: This course introduces students to a variety of artistic mediums such as painting, sculpting, crafts, and the incorporation of sound and/or music to give an art piece additional meaning. This allows students to express their beliefs and passion through different forms of art.
- Visual Arts: Students learn the different techniques of drawing and sketching, understanding the use of light, shadows, and colors.
- Photography: In addition to learning how to work professional cameras, students are taught how to tell stories with photographs. Projects can range from light painting, stop-motion and clay animation videos, and more!
Thanks to the generosity of our funders, this program is offered at no cost to participants. Interested in learning more? Please call (203) 823-9823 and ask for Karina Medved (email@example.com) or Stephanie Mallard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
ATTENTION: The Youth After-School Program is accepting applications for Fall 2016!
Apply now – spots fill up quickly!
Apply online from your desktop or mobile device at: tinyurl.com/ConnCAT2016-17
Click here to download and PRINT a copy: 2016-2017 CONNCAT Afterschool Program Application. You may drop off your completed forms at 4 Science Park, New Haven OR fax them to (203) 745-4510 “Attn: Karina Medved”. Applications are also available at our front desk.
Interested in Volunteering?
We are in need of proactive and dedicated interns to help our after-school program.
- Some experience or desire to work with pre-teens
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Strong academic record
- Patience! ☺
If you are selected to participate, your responsibilities will include tasks such as tutoring youth (5th-8th grade), assisting teachers during enrichment classes, and or clerical work (e.g., filing, copying, shredding). You may also use your volunteer hours to fulfill your school’s community service requirement as long as you provide us with the proper paperwork. Apply now! ConnCAT Internship